STEPHANIE M. FOSTER PhD, OTR/L Kid's Work Therapy Founder
- Dedicated to cutting-edge occupational therapy & evidence based practice.
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) from the Santa Barbara Graduate Institute in Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology.
- Over 33 years experience as a Registered Occupational Therapist (OTR). Over 25 years specialized experience and training in pediatrics, including research, state government consultation, business management, sensory processing disorders, and direct treatment.
- Award winning author of Self-Regulation and Mindfulness Activities for Sensory Processing Disorder: Creative Strategies help Children Focus and Remain Calm.
- Experienced instructor in community college, technical college, under-graduate, and graduate degree programs. Supervisory experience with training and counseling registered occupational therapists (OTR), Occupational Therapy internship students, certified Occupational Therapy assistants (COTA), physical therapists and assistants, other health care professionals and families.
- Award winning Occupational Therapist by the State of California: Occupational Therapy Practice Award
- Recognized award winning instructor for Gifted and Talented Education.
- University lecturer
- Master Yoga Instructor & Yoga Therapist (RYT500 with Yoga Alliance)
- Former Major in the United States Army Reserve. Leadership experience includes supervision, budgets, equipment management, crisis intervention, and quality assurance programs.
- Published research in professional journals.
- Integrated multi-media technology with teaching. Highly skilled with computer software and technology including word processing, spread sheets, and Power Point.
- Professional leadership in the Occupational Therapy Association of California (OTAC). Elected Board of Director for Tri-San Chapter, and state Advisory Council.
TEACHING EXPERIENCE in Every Step We Take
- Coordinator and Faculty, Making Sense of Sensory Integration 1999
- Columbia, SC
Coordinated two-day workshop. First day was introduction to Sensory Integration including physical, social, sensory regulation, and speech impacts for beginning educators and families. Second day focused on advanced topics for experienced occupational and physical therapists.
- Coordinator and Faculty, Occupational Therapy/Physical Therapy Update 1998
- Wurzburg Educational and Developmental Intervention Services Wurzburg, Germany
Coordinated and lectured in full day workshop for regional occupational therapist, physical therapist, educators, social workers, and speech and language pathologists. Presented lectures on Sensory Integration, Autism, American Occupational Therapy Association update, and Case Study reviews.
- Instructor, Management and Therapeutic Media II 1998
- Occupational Therapy Assistant Program Greenville, SC
- Greenville Technical College
Instructed 23 students in Occupational Therapy Department. Developed curriculum for courses, organized course requirements, evaluated student progress, and provided student advising.
- Adjunct Faculty, Child Growth, and Development 1996 – 1997
- Central Texas College, Misawa, Japan
Instructor for Early Childhood Education majors. Responsible for all coursework, lectures, assignments, and assessments for 18 international students.
Publications by Dr. Stephanie Foster
- Foster, S. (2020). Self-Regulation and Mindfulness Activities for Sensory Processing Disorder: Creative Strategies help Children Focus and Remain Calm. Calisto Media, May 2020.
- Foster, S. (2013). Sit Up Straight to go Back to School. Central Coast Family, August 2013.
- Foster, S. (2011). The relationship of prenatal, perinatal, and developmental risk factors to children’s sensory processing patterns. Unpublished dissertation from Santa Barbara Graduate Institute, Santa Barbara, CA.
- Foster, S. & Verny, T. (2007). The development of sensory systems during the prenatal period.
- Journal of the American Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology Health Association. 21(3) Spring 2007.
- Foster, S. (2006). A literature review: The effects of maternal stress in pregnancy on sensory integration in children.
- Journal of the American Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology Health Association, 21(1), Fall 2006.
- Bavaro, S. (1994). Does inclusion work? Unpublished scholarly project, Sergeant
- College-Boston University, Boston, MA.
- Bavaro, S. (1991). Occupational Therapy and obsessive-compulsive disorder- A case
- study. American Journal of Occupational Therapy, 45(5), 456 – 458.
- Bavaro, S. (1990). Handicapped awareness. Occupational Therapy Week 4 (19), 5 – 7.
Dr. Stephanie Foster Education
- Doctor of Philosophy. Major: Prenatal and Perinatal Psychology, Santa Barbara Graduate Institute. Magna Cum Laude, May 2011.
- Master of Science. Major: Occupational Therapy, Sergeant College of Allied Health, Boston University. Cum Laude, September 1994.
- Graduate studies in normal and abnormal development and occupation, emphasizing early intervention, school-based services, and sensory motor skill acquisition.
- Occupational Therapy Internship 10 month program, Walter Reed Army Medical Center.
LICENSES AND REGISTRATION
- Licensed Occupational Therapist, CA, 2002 to present.
- Registered Occupational Therapist, 1989 to present.
AWARDS & PROFESSIONAL ORGANIZATIONS
- Occupational Therapy Association of California Practice Award (2020). Recognized for significant contributions to the Advancement of the Practice of OT. Oct. 8, 2020.
- Occupational Therapy Association of California, 2000 to present.
- Elected Director of the Tri-San Chapter, responsible for revitalizing this chapter’s membership 2004 – 2006.
- Advisory Council member 2007 – 2008, Region 3 Director in 2013 – 2016.
- Association for Pre- and Perinatal Psychology and Health, 2004 to 2011.
- South Carolina Occupational Therapy Association, Newsletter Editor 1998 – 2000.
- Member 1997 to 2000.
- World Federation of Occupational Therapy, 1992 to 1997.
- American Occupational Therapy Association, 1988 to present.